The Cassowary Coast is a Travel Destination centered in North Queensland’s Great Green Way. The Bruce Highway motorway and Queensland Rail service the Cassowary Coast. The Historic Town of Cardwell is the southern gateway to the Cassowary Coast. To the south of Cardwell, Townsville is 2.0 hours by road transport. Cairns in far North Queensland is 2.5 hours by vehicle from Cardwell. Cairns and Townsville host domestic and international airports. With air connections to east coast Australian capital cities Brisbane, Sydney and international air carriers.
Cassowary Coast physiography embraces the Coral Sea, Great Barrier Reef, islands, estuaries and isolated beaches. The tropical coastal plain hosts perennial rivers, rainforest, escarpment range gorges and waterfalls. The scenic Kirrama Range Road and Palmerston Highway road routes access the Atherton Tablelands and Savannah outback.
The Cassowary Coast is renowned for outdoor leisure, recreation and sporting activities. Circumvented by Forestry Plantations, Queensland Forestry Reserves, Queensland National Parks and Queensland Wet Tropics World Heritage Areas eg Cardwell Range Girringun National Park. Key nature based activity interests include:
- Sighting Natural Attractions, Features, Flora & Fauna.
- Landscape & Nature Photography.
- Boat Cruising, Sailing, Island camping & Trail Walking.
- Reef Snorkelling, Spear Fishing and Scuba Diving.
- Fresh & Saltwater Fishing eg Luring, Trolling & Sport Fishing.
- Rainforest Trail Walking and Waterfall Viewing.
- Swimming, Kayaking & Whitewater Rafting.
- Rural Cross Country Road Cycling.
- Road, Track, Trail & Downhill Mountain Biking.
- Motorcycle Touring and Trail Bike Riding.
- Picnics, BBQ’s and extended stays camping.
Review multi day hiking and camping adventure options eg
- Hinchinbrook Island – Thorsborne Trail.
- Hinchinbrook Island – Sea Kayaking.
- Girringun National Park – Herbert River Gorge Juwun Walk.
- Tully Gorge National Park – Misty Mountains Trail Networks.
Cardwell – Local places to visit on holidays: Port Hinchinbrook, Hinchinbrook Island, Hinchinbrook Channel, Goold Island, Garden Island, Brook Islands Group, Rockingham Bay, Cardwell Lookout, Cardwell Scenic Forestry Drive, Attie Creek Waterfall, Dead Horse Creek, Cardwell Forestry Spa Pool, Five Mile Swimming Hole, Dalrymple Gap Walking Track, Kennedy Valley, Cardwell Range Kirrama National Park, Kirrama Range Road, Society Flats and Blencoe Falls.
For an extended Cardwell vacation, multiple road trips and tours. These destinations are within a day trip drive, return to Cardwell: –
- North Coast – West Inland
Cardwell Forestry Drive, Edmund Kennedy National Park, Jumbun – Murray Falls, Echo Creek, Tully, Mt. Tyson, Alligators Nest, Tully River Gorge, Tully Heads, Hull Heads, South Mission Beach, Wongaling Beach, Mission Beach, Bingil Bay, Djiru National Park, Licuala Walking Track, Lacey Creek, Clump Mountain National Park, Bicton Hill Lookout, El Arish , Silkwood, Japoonvale, Mena Creek, South Johnstone, Henrietta Creek, Nandroya Falls, Kurrimine Beach, Cowley Beach, Mourilyan, Mourilyan Harbor, Etty Bay, Innisfail, Flying Fish Point, Ella Bay and Wooroonooran National Park.
- South Coast – West Inland
Lucinda, Ingham, Broadwater Creek, Herbert River Gorge, Wallaman Falls, Mt. Fox Volcano, Crystal Creek, Paluma Range, Mt. Spec, Paluma, Paluma Lake and Hidden Valley.
Explore Australia’s Great Green Way tropical Cassowary Coast with Family & Friends.